PMS – Premenstrual Syndrome – The Naturopathic approach
PMS refers to a range of both emotional and physical symptoms a woman may experience in the lead up to the menstrual bleed. It is extremely common to experience PMS, with symptoms affecting up to 75% of women. Generally, symptoms dissipate once menstruation begins and will return shortly after the bleed finishes. Most women experiencing PMS symptoms experience approximately 1 week of the month symptom free. The wide range of PMS symptoms can range from mild to severe and include:
- Digestive imbalances such as abdominal bloating, increased appetite, food cravings, constipation, diarrhea,
- Mood imbalances such as anxiety, depression, mood swings, irritability, feeling alone and drop in self esteem
- Fatigue and excessive sleeping
- Swollen tender breasts and fluid retention
- Difficulty with concentration and focus
- Increased sensitivity to light and sound
- Headaches and migraines
- Hot sweats
- Low libido
Contributing factors to PMS
There are many factors which can contribute to PMS, every system in the body can contribute – however the main factor is the balance (or imbalance) of hormones. Oestrogen and Progesterone are the two main female hormones which peak and drop at certain stages of a woman’s cycle. We typically see these hormones out of balance, and aim to investigate them, as well as correlating factors and underlying causes of hormonal imbalance. These can include:
- Genetics – different genetic variations can play a role with the production, metabolism and detoxification of hormones
- Nutrient deficiencies – vitamins and minerals play an essential role with the healthy production and metabolism of hormones which is imperative to ensure there is hormone balance and harmony
- Liver function – aids in the detoxification of hormones
- Stress – the stress response stimulates the production of cortisol, which can directly impact hormonal balance
- Thyroid function – the thyroid gland essentially controls how fast or slow things happen in the body, and can impact hormone production – on the contrary, female hormones can also impact thyroid hormones.
- Microbial dysbiosis (or imbalance of good and bad bacteria) – some pathogenic types of bacteria and yeast are linked with hormonal imbalances
How can a Naturopath help to improve symptoms of PMS?
Our Naturopaths can provide symptomatic support and relief for both the emotional and physical symptoms associated with PMS. While we can offer symptomatic relief, our aim is always to get to the root of the cause and work to correct the imbalances.
There are many different pathology testing options when it comes to integratively treating PMS. A detailed case history along with an understanding of your symptoms and health goals will direct our Naturopaths as to which pathology tests are relevant for you. We recognise that our patients are all individuals and will generally require different testing options.
This may include investigating:
- hormones (and potentially hormone metabolism)
- gut/microbial status
- nutrient status levels
- thyroid function
- genetic testing
Once our Naturopaths have established the imbalances taking place within your body, they work to correct them. This is done with the use of nutritional medicine to address nutrient deficiencies as well as herbal medicine, lifestyle and dietary adjustments. Many of the nutrients and herbs that our Naturopaths use have been researched extensively and have scientific evidence supporting their use.
Take the next step to regaining good health!
Our Practitioners treat the root cause and not just the symptoms.
Through accurate assessment and scientific testing we can identify imbalances.
Our minimal fuss treatment plans address these imbalances.
Want to know how we can help you?
Why do we offer a Free Naturopath Assessment Consultation?
- Many clients are not sure if Naturopathy can help them.
- Maybe you have seen a Practitioner before and you want to figure out if we can help further.
- You might have questions that you want to ask the Practitioner in person before you commence a treatment plan.
- You may be wondering if we can identify what is causing your symptoms.
No matter where you are, we can offer Naturopath consultation by phone or skype consultations and nutritional supplementation through Australia and Overseas. We would love to see you in person in our Brisbane Naturopath, Central Coast Naturopath, Gold Coast Naturopath, Newcastle Naturopath, Mooloolaba Naturopath or Caloundra Naturopath Clinics on the Sunshine Coast