“Your gene loads the gun but your lifestyle pulls the trigger”
In other words, you can’t change the genes you are given, but you can influence the function of your genes, through your diet, environment and lifestyle.
Genetic testing is becoming more and more prevalent as certain genetic variations are now known to have the potential to significantly impact on overall health and susceptibility to chronic disease. In this sense, genetic testing is an amazing tool that enables you to optimise your health and prevent your risk of disease by implementing lifestyle and dietary choices that are specific to your genes. This is known as nutritional genomics – the relationship between the human genome, nutrition and health.
Genetic testing can reveal insight into many areas of health including, but not limited to: detoxification, methylation, nutrient requirements, inflammation, fat metabolism (e.g. cholesterol), weight management, insulin sensitivity, exercise, and bone health.
So you may be asking what will Genetic DNA testing do for me?
You will know where your potential genetic weaknesses are, so you can put preventative strategies into place. It will enable your practitioner to advise you on specific preventative health strategies to improve your long term health.
What Gene testing will not do
It will not predict the risk of diseases such as cancer, plus it will not identify disease causing changes in genes.By doing a simple once-only saliva test, you can discover your DNA blueprint and learn how well your genes are matched to your present diet and lifestyle, as well as how you can unlock the full potential of your current and future health and wellness.
The DNA Wellbeing Bundle includes a range of test panels that focus on key areas of health management, including mood, detoxification, methylation, hormones and fertility.
Gene variations included in the wellbeing bundle are:
- Vitamin A metabolism (BCMO1 – RS7501331)
- Vitamin B12 absorption and transport (FUT2 – RS601338, RS602662; TCN2 – RS 1801198)
- Vitamin C transport (SLC23A1 – RS33972313)
- Vitamin D (DHCR7 – RS12785878, CYP2R1 – RS10741657, CYP27B1 – RS4646536, GC – RS2282679, VDR-FOK – RS2228570, CYP24A1 – RS6013897)
- Folate pathway (MTHFD1 – RS 2236225, MTHFD1 – RS1076991, SHMT1 – RS1979277, MTHFR – RS1801133, MTHFR – RS1801131)
- Homocysteine-methionine pathway (MTR – RS1805087, MTRR – RS1801394, BHMT – RS3733890),
- Transulfuration pathway (CBS – RS234706)
- Fatty acid related genes (PEMT – RS7946, FADS1 – RS174546)
- Antioxidants (SOD2 – RS4880, GPX1 – RS1800668, CAT – RS1001179, PON1 – RS662)
- Hormone receptor and Thyroid (LHCGR – RS13405728, PGR – RS1042838, FOXE1 – RS965513)
- Phase 1 detox (CYP17A1 – RS743572, CYP19A1 – RS10046, , CYP1A1 – RS1048943, CYP1A1/1A2 – RS2472297, CYP1B1 – RS1800440, CYP1B1 – RS1056836, CYP2C19*17 – RS12248560, CYP2D6*4 – RS3892097, CYP2D6*10 – RS1065852, CYP3A4*1B – RS2740574)
- Phase 2 detox (NAT2 – RS1801280, NAT2 – RS1041983, NAT2 – RS1495741, GSTP1 – RS1695, GSTP1 – RS1138272, COMT – RS4680, NQO1 – RS1800566)
- Blood Pressure (AGT – RS699, NOS3 – RS1799983)
- Clotting factors (F2 – RS1799963, F5 – RS6025)
- Neurotransmitters and mood (MAOA – RS909525, DRD2/ANNK1 – RS1800497, TH – RS10770141, DAO – RS10156191, GAD1 – RS3749034, BDNF – RS6265)
Who may benefit from genetic testing?
In short, everyone can benefit from genetic testing. Genetic testing offers a valuable insight into your individual genetic makeup and may assist:
-To prevent and reduce the risk of chronic disease
-To better manage existing health problems
-To improve your energy levels and overall health
-To reduce the ageing process
-To optimise detoxification
-As part of a general health assessment and wellness plan
How to complete genetic testing
There are many different ‘gene panels’ that can be tested, and the choice of test will depend on your individual health priorities. We currently offer genetic testing through 5 different laboratories. Genetic tests are affordable and non-invasive (saliva or blood sample). You can complete them in the comfort of your home – we just send you the test kit. The process is easy and the results provide an informative and research-based guide to better health.
Want to know how we can help you?
Why do we offer a Free Naturopath Assessment Consultation?
- Many clients are not sure if Naturopathy can help them.
- Maybe you have seen a Practitioner before and you want to figure out if we can help further.
- You might have questions that you want to ask the Practitioner in person before you commence a treatment plan.
- You may be wondering if we can identify what is causing your symptoms.