Children think and behave very differently to adults so the form of therapy and expertise of the Psychologist is also very different.
There are a number of different techniques that can be used with children to deal with mental health conditions and other psychological and behavioural issues. These tend to be used to help children to develop emotional regulation, resilience, confidence, relaxation and relationship skills.
Children and even teenagers tend to prefer expressive styles of therapy over talk therapies, especially those that include elements of play and creativity such as:
- puppet role playing
- sand play with figurines
- feelings cards and music
- writing and drawing.
What sort of situations would your family & child benefit from seeing a Children’s Psychologist at Integrated Wellness Clinic?
- Recovery following physical, emotional or sexual abuse or traumatic or life-changing event
- Attention or learning problems like ADD and ADHD
- Excessive shyness or need for social withdrawal
- Bullying others or the victim of bullying
- Aggressive behaviour
- Throwing tantrums for no reason
- The transition of the family environments such as custody and parent separations
- Delayed speech
- Bedwetting and nightmares
- Limited interest in things they once found enjoying
- Unexplained mood swings, sadness, anxiety, fears and phobias
Frequently Asked Questions