The thyroid is a sensitive butterfly-shaped endocrine gland that is involved in a wide range of functions within our body, including the regulation of the metabolic rate of cells, energy production and cell growth. When it is not functioning effectively it can lead to a wide range of symptoms including infertility, anxiety, depression, trouble losing or gaining weight, menstrual irregularities, low energy, mood changes (just to name a few! Let me tell you the list goes on!).
Thyroid abnormalities are increasing within the population and the reasons as to why this is happening is multi-factorial. It can be disrupted by excessive stress, environmental toxins such as solvents, fluoride, chloride; poor dietary choices; systemic inflammation or it may have developed as an auto-immune condition, known as Hashimotos or Graves Disease.
There are a number of things to consider when treating thyroid abnormalities:
- Optimum Digestion – Does the person have digestive problems? Do they have leaky gut which has exacerbated their autoimmune condition?
- Mineral Balance- the key players being Zinc, Selenium, Iron and Iodine. Are they deficient in any of these? Does their diet contain rich sources of a range of minerals?
- Vitamin and Amino Acids – Vitamin A, D, B3 and Tyrosine
- Blood Test Pathology – Often people can experience a wide range of hypothyroid symptoms and still be within the normal TSH range. It’s also important to check free T3, free T4 and Thyroid Antibodies to have a clearer understanding of what is happening within the body.
- Dietary Habits- Are grains and gluten a contributing factor to exacerbating symptoms? Does the thyroid gland need support with herbal medicine? Would it be beneficial for the person to avoid goitrogens, grains and soy that disrupt the thyroid?
- Is it an auto-immune condition? If so, what techniques are being used to support the immune system? Could it be that gastrointestinal pathogens are exhibiting molecular mimicry and binding to TSH receptor sites?
- Environment – Do they wear perfume constantly on their neck? Are they drinking chlorinated and fluoridated water? Are they constantly being exposed to environmental toxins? Are they exercising and practicing stress-reducing techniques?
As you can see, there are a lot of considerations when treating a thyroid condition and no blanket approach or ‘one size fits all’. Everyone experiences thyroid abnormalities in different ways, therefore individualised treatments suit best!
Book your FREE introductory consultation with one of our Naturopaths Phone 5458 4800.
We have found that Acupuncture and Naturopathic therapies work synergistically in correcting thyroid health. We offer a “Terrific Thyroid package” to get you feeling better sooner!
Appointments can be done by phone, skype or in person at our beautiful Sunshine Coast Naturopathic clinic.