The Naturopathic Approach to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
“I wake up each morning and feel like I’ve been hit by a truck!.” Sound familiar?
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) has an absolutely debilitating effect upon a person’s quality of life in a varied number of ways.
It is often characterised by any of the following: extreme level of fatigue, headaches, trouble concentrating, tender lymph nodes, muscle weakness, joint pain, loss of libido, depression, anxiety, allergies, fibromyalgia, gastrointestinal upsets (and the list goes on and on and on!).
It has a ripple effect upon relationships, work, family and social life.
As the drivers of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome are complex and layered, the treatment and support is also multi-faceted and involves any of the following:
- Correcting nutritional deficiencies (Eg. Vitamin B12, Vitamin D and minerals)
- Hormonal Imbalance: Excess cortisol, Insulin resistance, Obesity, Thyroid hormone imbalance
- Support for a healthy mood (eg. Exercise techniques, anti-inflammatory dietary habits, herbal or nutritional supplementation)
- Addressing any underlying past or present bacterial or viral infections (CMV, EBV)
- Healing the gut mucosa and any leaky gut present
- Creating a balanced bacterial gut flora in the gut. We identify the flora present through thorough stool testing
- Assessing your environment: pollutants, microbes and toxins
- Heavy metals / Sluggish detoxification pathways
- Consider testing for MTHFR A1298C gene mutation
- Working with other health professionals to help work on underlying emotional drivers of CFS
- Nurturing the nervous system with herbal or nutritional supplements as well as mindfulness techniques
- Lessen the severity of symptoms (eg. Herbal relaxants and anti-inflammatories to decrease pain and improve sleep)
- Increasing energy production (eg. Magnesium, B-group vitamins, D-Ribose, Glutathione, CoQ10, exercise, breathing)
What causes Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
The exact cause of chronic fatigue syndrome is poorly understood. Researchers speculate that viruses, hypotension (unusually low blood pressure), a weakened immune system, and hormonal imbalances could all be contributing factors. It’s also possible that some people are genetically predisposed to develop chronic fatigue syndrome.
The above are just some of the many avenues Naturopaths work on to address Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS).
We prefer to take an integrative approach through pathology testing and collaborative care to help you get the best possible outcome.
Are you wanting to know how we can help?
We recommend booking a FREE Naturopathic Assessment Consultation with one of our Naturopaths either in one of our Sunshine Coast Naturopath Clinics, Gold Coast Naturopath or in our Brisbane Naturopath Clinic.
What is involved in this Free Naturopath Assessment Consultation?
- You will be able to spend up to 30 minutes with one of our Naturopaths
- There is the option meet in our Brisbane Naturopath or Sunshine Coast Naturopath or speak with us online via skype.
- The consulting Naturopath will go through your health concerns with you
- Your Naturopath will then explain the potential causes
- Pathology testing that is likely beneficial will be discussed
- You are encouraged to ask as many questions are you like
- Your Naturopath will then assess who the best Practitioner is for you to see and the type of Naturopathic plan that would best suit you. If you decide to go ahead with further treatment, great. If you do not, that is ok too. We hope that you leave learning new information.
We guarantee you will leave this Free Naturopath Assessment with 3 key learnings!
Book this Highly Educational Free Naturopath Assessment Consultation online or click the phone number to speak with our team (07) 5458 4800 .
We would love to see you in our Brisbane Naturopath Clinic, Gold Coast Naturopath our Sunshine Coast Naturopath Clinics in both Buderim and Caloundra. Alternatively, no matter where you are, we can offer naturopathy services by phone or skype consultations and provide nutritional supplementation and pathology testing advice.