Autism Assessment Sunshine Coast
Are you wondering if you or your Child has Autism?
The process of figuring out to undergo an Autism Assessment can be stressful and daunting for many families. Our goal is to make this process as simple and stress free as possible.
Many clients come to us seeking the gold standard for Autism assessment to:
- Identify developmental difficulties
- Assess if any interventions will offer support
- Create a fine tuned management plan
- Implement treatment strategies to help reach their full potential
- Assist with accessing additional support and funding to support the health of their child through initiatives such as NDIS or Helping Children with Autism Package
- If diagnosed, some clients mention that it brings them a sense of relief as they can better understand their own or their child’s difficulties and abilities
“Autism Spectrum Australia (Aspect) has revised its autism prevalence rates from 1 in 100 to an estimated 1 in 70 people in Australia on the autism spectrum. That is an estimated 40% increase…”
Who can complete the Autism Assessment on the Sunshine Coast?
Autism assessment and diagnosis must be done by a Practitioner (Psychologist) who is trained in this area as it is a specialised field. For some the assessment also includes other modalities such as a Paediatrician, Speech Pathologist or Occupational Therapist. This is referred to as a “multi-disciplinary team”.
What is involved in the diagnosis process for Children at Integrated Wellness Clinic?
Firstly, it will begin with the Completion of an initial consultation in our warm and relaxed environment.
We understand that some children cannot sit still for long and may find different environments uncomfortable. Our team will do their best to ensure your child’s comfort, as well as your comfort as we know it may be a confronting experience for you.
Following this initial consultation the following selection of specific gold standard psychometric assessments are included:
- Observation by the Psychologist- this is to assess in clinic or in their natural or school environment. This could assess the child’s behaviour, learning skills, communication skills (verbal and non-verbal), sensory sensitivities.
- Interviewing utilising Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised (ADI–R). This is a formalised interview schedule for completion with the parent or caregiver, as they are aware of the developmental history of the child.
- Completion of Psychology diagnostic tools such as Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS-2). This tool demonstrates high sensitivity and is considered the gold standard in autism diagnosis.
- The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM–5) is used as a criteria to diagnose Autism.
What is the Diagnosis and/or Assessment for Adults?
The process is much the same, however, may vary. If there is already a diagnosis and you are seeking an up to date IQ test and functionality test we can assist with this.
The key outcomes of these assessments is to assess:
- Communication skills
- Social skills
- Sensory processing (along with OT)
- Learning skills
What age is the ideal age to assess for Autism?
Research suggests that early intervention is key. Assessments can be done from the age of 18 months and through adulthood.
Do I need a referral from a doctor to undergo an Autism Assessment?
No you don’t need a referral, you can book directly with our team.
How do I know if an Autism Assessment is the right thing to do for my Child?
Before committing to undergoing a full assessment you are welcome to book in for a free phone chat with our Psychologist to discuss your child’s situation, your concerns, questions and to get a better understanding of the process and how we can help.
The Integrative Approach
Our clinic offers a diagnosis through to treatment approach. We are able to offer integrative services to help address the multiple layers that encompass Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Our supportive Psychologists offer psychology services in both our Mooloolaba and Caloundra Integrated Wellness Clinic.