What to expect in an Integrative Medical Doctor Consultation
Integrative medicine is a specific form of healthcare that incorporates both conventional western medicine as well as evidence-based complementary medicine. An integrative doctor works very closely with you to uncover the underlying cause of your health concerns and support you all throughout treatment.
The type of treatment you can expect while seeing an integrative doctor:
- A holistic approach – Rather than simply addressing ‘symptom complexes’ or prescribing medication simply based on a diagnosis, an integrative doctor focuses on the whole body. Your integrative doctor considers the physical, psychological, social, emotional, and spiritual aspects that influence your overall health and wellbeing. This holistic approach helps to uncover the underlying cause of illness or disease. By correcting the underlying cause through various treatment modalities, your body is able to naturally function better, and thus you start feeling better.
- Evidence-based – All treatments are always informed by evidence, and at all times the least invasive treatment will be used.
- Integrative Care – Your integrative doctor will always collaborate with your other health professionals, including naturopaths, psychologists, counsellors, physiotherapists, osteopaths, chiropractors, acupuncturists, specialist doctors, etc. which ensures you are receiving the best integrative care.
In your initial consultation, your integrative doctor will:
- spend time getting to know you and identifying your primary health concerns
- assess diet and nutritional status
- gain understanding of your lifestyle habits and environmental influences
- discuss psychological wellbeing
- evaluate your current medications and nutritional supplements
- review any recent pathology results
- assess the necessity to refer you to specialists or for further medical assessment
- provide standard and advanced pathology referral forms as needed
From here, your integrative doctor will formulate a comprehensive care plan that addresses both your signs and symptoms and the underlying cause/s of dis-ease. Treatment plans are designed in collaboration with the patient, taking into account your preferences in regards to treatment. Conventional treatments as well as natural therapies may both be utilised in order to manage signs and symptoms as well as facilitate the body’s innate ability to heal itself.
Patients are seen by appointment only. As an integrative medical appointment requires more time, the appointments are longer than usual medical consultations. It is recommended patients make follow up appointments well in advance as doctors can book up fairly quickly.
We recommend you also have a local GP who can see you for acute issues such as infections and emergencies.
In these situations, our clinic may or may not be able to provide an urgent appointment due to the high demand for, the nature of our services and doctors consulting hours we can refer you to many local GPs if needed.
We do keep a waiting list of people needing urgent appointments and will call patients if there is an available appointment based on urgency.
Our integrative doctors offer a holistic approach to healthcare, providing evidence-based, safe and effective treatments. They aim to build a strong rapport with each patient, listening to your concerns and working collaboratively with you to provide comprehensive care. If you are looking for an integrative doctor, we would love to work with you.