Natural Therapies for Allergies
An allergy is a reaction that occurs when the immune system is overly sensitive to a substance that is normally harmless. This substance is usually something in the environment, such as dust mites, pollen, animal dander, medications, bites and stings. Allergies to food proteins are also very common – the most common food allergies are cow’s milk, egg, peanut, tree nuts, sesame, soy, fish, shellfish and wheat. However, other foods can also cause IgE allergies. It is important to remember that a food allergy is different to a food sensitivity or intolerance. Read here for the difference between intolerance and sensitivity.
Immediately or soon after the body is exposed to the allergen, an immune reaction occurs, causing IgE antibodies to produce in the body. During this process, inflammatory substances, such as histamine, are produced. These inflammatory compounds cause symptoms such as swelling/itching of the face, lips, tongue, throat, and eyes, hives, wheezing, asthma, abrupt gastrointestinal symptoms, and anaphylaxis.
What are the underlying causes of allergies?
- Genetics appears to be a significant determining factor in the wwwelopment of allergies.
- Research has suggested that exposure to different foods as a baby may contribute to the risk of wwweloping food allergies. In a 2015 study, 600 children were randomly assigned to eat peanuts or avoid peanuts. Children who started eating peanuts at a younger age (younger than 1 year), were less likely to have wwweloped a peanut allergy at age 5, compared to those children who avoided peanuts. However, the research emphasised that this may not be effective for everyone. While most children grow out of allergies to eggs and milk, allergies to nuts and seafood can be lifelong. More research is needed to confirm the link.
- The health of the digestive system should also be explored in any case of allergy. A healthy gut lining is made up of epithelial cells that are held together by tight junctions, creating a strong barrier. This ensures that proteins and antigens that can cause allergic reactions can not escape the digestive system and enter other areas of the body. If the gut lining becomes damaged – a term known as ‘leaky gut’ or impaired intestinal permeability – proteins and antigens may pass through the intestinal wall, entering the bloodstream and potentially causing an allergic response. A study found that patients with both food allergies and food sensitivities had increased intestinal permeability (i.e. leaky gut). They also found that the more damaged the gut lining was, the more severe the allergies and intolerances were.
How can a Naturopath help to improve signs and symptoms of allergy?
Firstly, a comprehensive examination of your individual (and family) history enables your Naturopath to put the pieces of the puzzle together – making links between your environment, diet, lifestyle, and the health of your body systems.
Your Naturopath will then usually recommend comprehensive pathology testing. This can help to identify the foods you are reacting to if they are unknown. Pathology testing may include testing the blood for antibodies, and assessing the health of the digestive system through a comprehensive and diagnostic stool analysis or a leaky gut test.
After pathology testing, you will then be given a tailored treatment plan, which may include:
- Treatments to repair the health of the gut – our Naturopaths are highly experienced in working with clients to improve their gut health. Each person’s treatment plan is different and may include nutritional medicine to enhance collagen production, probiotic therapy to repopulate healthy levels of bacteria, and gut-healing foods to reduce inflammation.
- Nutritional and herbal medicines to modulate the immune system and reduce inflammation – food allergies can cause inflammation of the wall of the small intestine, and activation of the immune system. Once the offending foods have been identified and omitted from the diet, it is imperative to repair any damage to the gut, and rebalance the function of the immune system.
- A customised eating plan – nutrient deficiencies are common in people who have restricted their diet due to allergies. Therefore, our Naturopaths make sure that you are offered alternatives to foods you must avoid, that ensures you aren’t missing out on vital nutrients
If allergies are having an impact on your health, we would love to work with you.
Take the next step to regaining good health!
Our Practitioners treat the root cause and not just the symptoms.
Through accurate assessment and scientific testing we can identify imbalances.
Our minimal fuss treatment plans address these imbalances.
Want to know how we can help you?
Why do we offer a Free Naturopath Assessment Consultation?
- Many clients are not sure if Naturopathy can help them.
- Maybe you have seen a Practitioner before and you want to figure out if we can help further.
- You might have questions that you want to ask the Practitioner in person before you commence a treatment plan.
- You may be wondering if we can identify what is causing your symptoms.
Claim your FREE Naturopath Assessment Consultation Online below or visit our phone us.
No matter where you are, we can offer Naturopath consultation by phone or skype consultations and nutritional supplementation through Australia and Overseas. We would love to see you in person in our Brisbane Naturopath, Central Coast Naturopath, Gold Coast Naturopath, Newcastle Naturopath, Mooloolaba Naturopath or Caloundra Naturopath Clinics on the Sunshine Coast, or our Sydney Naturopath clinic.