Natural Therapies for Lupus
Lupus is a chronic autoimmune condition which occurs when the immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissue. This causes inflammation in the body, in particular the skin, joints, heart, lungs and kidneys. One of the most common signs of Lupus is a ‘butterfly rash’ over the nose.
There are several different types of lupus including;
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) – the most common type of lupus which can affect the entire body (including the skin, joints, kidneys, heart and lungs)
- Discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) – affecting the skin (particularly sun exposed areas such as the hands and face) causing red, scaly patches
- Drug induced lupus – SLE-like symptoms can appear due to use of some medications, once medications are stopped symptoms often disappear
- Neonatal lupus – this is both rare and temporary, neonatal lupus affects a foetus or newborn baby and occurs when antibodies are passed from a mother with SLE, to baby prior to birth.
What are the underlying causes of Lupus?
Naturopaths investigate all areas of health. However, research has shown these areas to be key factors in the development and progression of lupus.
- Genetics appears to be a significant determining factor in the development of lupus.
- Intestinal hyperpermeability or ‘leaky’ gut is linked to autoimmune conditions, as it allows for pathogens, proteins etc that should not have access to the blood to permeate through – this can cause a heightened inflammatory and immune response which can lead to autoimmune conditions
- Environmental factors such as chemicals and drugs/medications can alter the immune response thus increasing the chance of an autoimmune response. Therefore, identifying, removing and clearing these is imperative.
- Microbial dysbiosis (or imbalance of good and bad bacteria) – some pathogenic types of bacteria are directly linked to autoimmune conditions
How can an Integrated Wellness Clinic Naturopath help to improve signs and symptoms of lupus?
Our Naturopaths can offer symptomatic care when it comes to lupus and other autoimmune conditions, however our goal is to get to the root of the cause. As with any autoimmune condition – it is the immune system that is dysregulated (we can then have a specific organ that is targeted, or multiple systems). The first step is a comprehensive examination of your individual (and family) history to enable your Naturopath to put the pieces of the puzzle together – making links between your environment, diet, lifestyle, and the health of your body systems.
Your Naturopath will then usually recommend comprehensive pathology testing. This can help to identify the correlating and potentially causative factors. Pathology testing may include food sensitivity testing, testing the blood for antibodies, and assessing the health of the digestive system through a comprehensive and diagnostic stool analysis or a leaky gut test. Many nutrients also play a role with healthy immune function and will likely also be assessed.
After pathology testing, you will then be given a tailored treatment plan, which may include:
- Treatments to repair the health of the gut – our Naturopaths are highly experienced in working with clients to improve their gut health. Each person’s treatment plan is different and may include nutritional medicine to enhance collagen production, probiotic therapy to repopulate healthy levels of bacteria, and gut-healing foods to reduce inflammation.
- Nutritional and herbal medicines to modulate the immune system and reduce inflammation – food allergies can cause inflammation of the wall of the small intestine, and activation of the immune system. Once the offending foods have been identified and omitted from the diet, it is imperative to repair any damage to the gut, and rebalance the function of the immune system.
- A customised eating plan – nutrient deficiencies, food allergies, intolerances and sensitivities are common in people who have autoimmune conditions. Therefore, our Naturopaths make sure that you are educated on foods that may cause an inflammatory, immune mediated response, and offered alternatives to foods you must avoid, that ensures you aren’t missing out on vital nutrients. This may also warrant testing for food intolerances and allergies.
Want to know how we can help you?
Why do we offer a Free Naturopath Assessment Consultation?
- Many clients are not sure if Naturopathy can help them.
- Maybe you have seen a Practitioner before and you want to figure out if we can help further.
- You might have questions that you want to ask the Practitioner in person before you commence a treatment plan.
- You may be wondering if we can identify what is causing your symptoms.
Claim your FREE Naturopath Assessment Consultation Online below or visit our phone us.
No matter where you are, we can offer Naturopath consultation by phone or skype consultations and nutritional supplementation through Australia and Overseas. We would love to see you in person in our Brisbane Naturopath, Central Coast Naturopath, Gold Coast Naturopath, Newcastle Naturopath, Mooloolaba Naturopath or Caloundra Naturopath Clinics on the Sunshine Coast, or our Sydney Naturopath clinic.